Nov 26, 2008

Hunger and Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is a beautiful and happy time for most Americans. It is a time when we can forget about work, school, and eat our freaking hearts out. If your family is anything like mine, thanksgiving is also the annual gossip party of the year. "Who's divorcing who?...." "She's living with him?..." And all of my life, this is what i understood Thanksgiving to be. Food, Family, Football, and beer. Did i mention LOTS of beer.

But last year something happened. I did something crazy....something that upset alot of my family. Most of them still don't understand why I went. I'm sure my name was involved in much of the gossip last year at this time. Many relatives wondering what could possibly be important enough to pass up my acceptance into the UTSA music program, and take a semester off of school. I did it so i could travel to Johannesburg, South Africa to serve. I did it because I knew it was what I was supposed to do. And it was a decision that absolutely changed my life.

While I was there the trip fell on Thanksgiving. But, after a few days of working in the squatter camps and seeing the children I had completely forgot the holiday. Out of nowhere Mr. Kyle Burkholder announced the idea of a Thanksgiving feast, assuring us that it would be a unforgettable one.

A majority of the people in poverty live on less than a dollar a day. So on Thanksgiving all 6 of us sat down to a feast worth six dollars total. No turkey, no pie, just bland porridge and a chicken bone that kinda had meat on it, for six people. This is how people live everyday of there life. Holiday or not!!

So this year as i sit down to eat a very bittersweet American Thanksgiving feast. Today I will pray for those who will not have a home cooked turkey this year. The people who might not ever be able to say the words, "I'm full."



Today may we all remember what to really be thankful for..........

2 comments:

Kyle Burkholder said...

thank you for remembering. we were talking about it just yesterday.

remember something new: awareness is the bridge from apathy to action. find a new way to cross that bridge today.

Anonymous said...

you are awesome...congrats

i thought about this as I woke up the morning of thanksgiving, the smell of turkey already in the air...and i prayed that I would remember forever...for now that we have seen we are responsible :)

thanks for this...